University of Surrey: Free 60 min rentals from Dec 23rd - Jan 3rd
Note: Only valid for the University of Surrey scheme.
How to sign up:
- Download the 'nextbike' app to register (available on iOS and Android). Alternatively, you can do it on the nextbike website.
- Choose your city. Enter your phone number to receive a text with your account pin number. Don’t forget to accept T&Cs.
- Select ‘Menu’ (three dashes on the upper left corner).
- Select ‘Activate Account’.
- To activate your nextbike account you must complete the ‘Profile Fields’ and ‘Unlock Options’. Then, verify your account by clicking on the link sent to you by email.
- Enter your details in ‘Profile Fields’.
- Select ‘Unlock Options’ and select ‘Credit/debit card’. £5 credit will be taken as a security deposit and will be used to verify your account. If you want your £5 refunded to your bank account when you close down your account, please contact our Customer Service team on 020 8166 9851.
You are now ready to rent!
Thanks to University of Surrey, the first 60 minutes of each rental are temporarily free from 23rd December until 3rd January 2021. Memberships and Pay As You Ride rates apply after the initial 60 minutes free period.
If you are a Pay As You Ride user, rides over 60 minutes will be charged at the normal PAYR rate of £1 per 30 minutes.
If you have already purchased a membership, rides over 90 minutes will be charged at the normal membership rate of £0.50 per 30 minutes. For more information about our memberships click here.
Note: If you return your nextbike at an official station before your initial 60 minutes free are over, you can rent it again to get an additional 60 minutes free. To find the station map or for more information, open the nextbike app or visit our website.
How to use a nextbike (standard bike):
- To rent: The easiest way to rent is via the app! Open the nextbike app and scan the QR code on the bike or enter the bike number. Alternatively, you can call our hotline (020 8166 9851). You will receive a code to unlock the nextbike. Wake up the bike computer by pressing any button, enter the code and press 'OK / END'. Remove the front lock from the wheel and bike stand securing it in the holster behind the basket.
- To park temporarily: Put the front lock through the wheel, wake up the bike computer by pressing any button and press 'TP'. To unlock the bike, enter the code in the bike computer once again and press 'OK / END'. Note: Temporary parking does not pause your rental. Your time is still running.
- To return: Slide the lock through the front fork and the bike stand until it clicks and locks. Wake up the bike computer by pressing any button and press 'OK / END'. The bike computer will say 'RETURNED' and your app will update once the bike has been successfully returned.
Note: To correctly return a nextbike you must return it to an official station. Any nextbike returned outside an official station will be subject to a £10 fine. This will increase to £20 for a second offence and £30 for the third offence. If a customer returns a bike incorrectly more than three times, their account will be shut down.